Penguin Essay Contest
Each year Penguin books holds an essay contest on a book of their choosing (it varies from year to year.) We can tell you that the books that they do choose are usually very well-known and best sellers. They ask students to write essays that have originality, style and proper grammar.
Penguin books will choose a panel of judges to go through each essay that has been properly submitted. Five winners will be chosen (each with an equal amount of money.) If you can’t already tell this is on of the premier writing scholarships out there. Let’s take a look at why it is so popular.
As stated above, this is an essay contest. Remember, Penguin books will choose the novel and topics you will be writing on. It is highly recommended that you actually read the book that the essay contest is over. You may be laughing but we can’t tell you how many times people just “wing” it and end up shooting themselves in the foot.
As for prize money, five scholarships of equal value will be awarded to the five best essays. Each scholarship is worth $1,000 and can be used towards higher education opportunities.
Qualifications For The Scholarship
Every scholarship has certain requirements and this one is no different. Students eligible for this scholarship must meet the following qualifications:
- The contest is open to only students in 11th and 12th grade.
- Students must be enrolled in a high school in the United States.
- Home school students CAN enter the contest.
- Students must between the ages of 16-18 are allowed to enter.
- Four copies of the high school student’s essay must be mailed by an English teacher on behalf of the student.
- Four copies of the home schooled student’s essay must be mailed by a parent on behalf of the student.
How The Essay Should Be Written
When doing our research on this scholarship we learned that the essay you submit to Penguin books must be written a certain way. Here were our findings:
- A cover letter must be included with your essay (you need a date, grade level, address, email address, phone number and high school name.)
- You must also verify which topic you chose in your cover letter.
- Either your parent or teacher (whoever is sending your essay) must provide a certification that the essay is original work by the student.
(if your essay does not contain these things it will be disqualified.)
Where You Should Go To Apply
Before submitting your essay, we highly recommend you check out the penguin books essay contest page. There you can glance over the rules to make sure you have everything you need and you can also take a look at the winning essays of previous years.
In order to apply for this particular contest, you CAN NOT do so electronically. This means that fax and email are out of the question. You must mail your essay to the following address:
Penguin Group (USA) Inc., Academic Marketing Department, Signet Classics Student Scholarship Essay Contest #(whichever essay contest it is), 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014.